Thursday 14 February 2008

The Day Rubydoo changed my life

It was Valentines Day 2007. My next door neighbour was away on holiday and her fish pond had sprung a leak. All her Koi were just laying on top of each other. I filled up the pond and went back to check it lunchtime..I thought I would walk Ruby too. We were walking down the neighbours garden with Ruby on a lead when something freaked her. She ran violently in the other direction and as I stupidly had my lead around my wrist I could not let go. I remember being in mid air and as my walking boots touched the wet grass, desperately trying to get some grip. There was loud crack and I found myself laying on wet slimy concrete with Ruby licking my face. My leg didn't hurt just felt weird. I figured that I must have broken my leg due to the noise and knew it would hurt if I moved so I didn't bother. Thank goodness I had my mobile phone on me and was able to ring for an ambulance. I also rang my husband at work and asked him to cancel Valentines dinner that evening. I then rang my two step daughters and asked them to collect the dog as I had broken my leg...they thought I was joking!

Boy did it hurt when the ambulance man came and moved my leg and WOW did I love my boot being taken off...Gas and air doesn't touch the pain for this believe me. By the time I was wheeled into the ambulance I was high as a kite and I remember cracking all sorts of jokes about being allergic to Broken legs and telling the ambulance man that I was born on the day of the Great Train Robbery 08/08/63

I had a lovely time on a trolley in a corridor whilst student nurses either leant on my leg or placed the book on it...ouch that hurt! It was a long day during which I ended up having my leg set and then had the pleasure of 6 nurses lifting me into a hopital bed without me screaming too much.

I could not just break 1 bone like a normal person I hadd to go and break my Fibula and Tibia twice. The next day I was told I needed surgery to prevent the leg rotating...some joke that turned out to be!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: